newbie

From: Peter Foley <peter.foley@abs.gov.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:10:58 +1000
To: www-ql@w3.org

Hello to everyone on the list. I am currently undertaking a project that is
looking at replacing a SQL based interface to a complex database system (2-tier)
with a web services (n-tier) system.

We are exposing the database objects as XML documents but we do not want to
populate the whole XML document in order to do queries.

I am thus thinking about using XQUERY to formulate queries against the XML
document and converting them via XSLT to SQL. I have tries a few queries and it
looks feasible (comments welcome) but -

1) Is there a tool that converts from XQUERY to XQUERYX (for XSLT to convert)?

2) Is XQUERY going to be expanded for Insert, Delete, Update?

3) Does XQUERY handle grouping and sorting?

Thanks for any help.

ABS Web Site:  www.abs.gov.au