RE: xml and query languages

XPath 1.0 is a W3C Recommendation and is used from XSLT 1.0 and
XPointer.  XPath provides a path expression language for both these
other specifications.

XQL and XML-QL were independent early efforts to create an XML query
language.  Most of the authors of these proposals are now working within
the W3C XML Query WG to produce a single W3C XML query language which
will be called XQuery.

W3C XML Query will be the definitive XML query language.  This is the
effort you should be following today.  See http://www.w3.org/XML/Query
for more information and pointers to the current specifications.

BTW XML Query 1.0 and XPath 2.0 are closely related as you will find out
by reviewing the specifications.

/paulc
Chair, XML Query WG

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada