Approve of draft policy - disapprove of software patenting.

From: Middleton, Michael <Michael.Middleton@baltimorecity.gov>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:21:17 -0500
To: "'www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org'" <www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org>

I request that W3C approve the draft patent policy, because it's a
compromise that protects the right of Open Source / Free Software
programmers to implement W3C standards.
I object to software patents, and support efforts to eliminate them at the
legislative level.  While it's clear that when one seeks it, one should be
fully recognised and compensated for one's work, the detrimental effect a
patent has on the flow and constant change that should naturally occur
within a  process far outweighs it's advantages.

Michael C. Middleton

Michael C. Middleton
Computer Systems Analyst
Baltimore City