I believe the W3C should not endorse Patented Technologies

From: Shlomi Fish <shlomif@vipe.technion.ac.il>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 06:10:24 +0200 (IST)
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org

It is my opinion that endorsing patented technologies as standards for the
web will only do harm in the long run.

First of all, it would actually encorage vendors to patent their
technologies rather than let people use them without restriction.

Secondly, it may cause vendors to later abuse their power once the
standard has become commonplace, as happened with Unisys and GIFs.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        shlomif@vipe.technion.ac.il
Home E-mail:       shlomif@techie.com

A more experienced programmer does not make less bugs. He just realizes
what went wrong more quickly.