Patent policy comments

From: Terry Griffin <griffint@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 21:27:27 -0700
To: www-patentpolicy-comment@w3.org
With respect to the three components of the proposal:

1. On disclosure: No objection.

2. On royalty-free licensing: No objection.

3. On RAND licensing: Strong objection on the grounds that it discriminates
against open source software (OSS) implementations of the standard. Most OSS
projects are non-profit operations and have no revenue stream to support
royalty payments no matter how "reasonable" and "non-discriminatory" the
terms. Any royalty requirements make a standard discriminatory as far as OSS
is concerned. Further, I think the use of RAND would inhibit technical
improvement of the web. The Internet and OSS feed on each other. Most of the
Internet operates on OSS and the Internet makes the collaborative efforts
behind OSS possible. The RAND proposal threatens to break that cycle with
respect the web, thus stalling the advancement of both the web and of open
source software. In the event that the RAND proposal is adopted I believe it
is inevitable that the OSS community will fork the web in order to continue
the rapid pace of development of both the web and the software than runs it.

Terry Griffin