Re: RAND will fragment the web

 --- "Case, Scott" <Scott.Case@ca.com> wrote:
> I'm not completely parranoid but I do have to wonder how this whole idea
> came about.
> With talk of Microsoft hiding patents regarding .NET technology along
> with the very blunt statements from MS stating that GPL licensing is bad
> and should be stopped - I have to wonder who the major backer of this is?
>  This seems to fit their goals very well.

Not so, according to Open Source advocate Bruce Perens of HP. From
http://perens.com/Articles/HP_And_W3C_Standards.html :

<quote>
       Of the participants in the W3C Patent Policy Working Group,
       HP has been the most vigorous proponent of the importance of
       avoiding patent encumbrances on W3C Recommendations. While HP has
       probably been the leading voice in this, they have not been alone.
       I am told that Sun, and surprisingly, Microsoft, have been
       supportive on the issue of avoiding patent encumbrances.
</quote>

Regards
Jason Antony

http://travel.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Travel