Re: Doing basic authentication

From: Marco Ariano <marco.ariano@pipercreek.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:54:03 -0600
To: Raffaele Sena <raff@nuvomedia.com>
CC: www-lib@w3.org
Raffaele:

[What's the accepted protocol on this list?  Should I be sending my

Raffaele Sena wrote:
>     Note that after the first error the client should send all the
>     following requests to the same server with your credential, so
>     the overhead is really only on the first error.

That's not how the stuff you suggested would work is it?  I would think
the proper response to the challenge would have to be cached somewhere
after the first time.  I see that happening in the code I was looking at
in HTAABrow.c but unless it happens due to some magic I don't understand
yet, I don't see how that's going to happen with the stuff you
suggested.

And if I can send it automatically on subsequent requests, I figure I
might as well do that the first time around.  I might have been happy
with the stuff in HTAABrow.c except that I saw the interactive stuff.

thanks again,
Marco