Re: Doing basic authentication

From: Raffaele Sena <raff@nuvomedia.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:44:10 -0700
To: "Marco Ariano" <marco.ariano@pipercreek.com>
Cc: <www-lib@w3.org>

> Raffaele:
>
> Thanks for the code.  It works fine except that the credentials are only
> sent in response to a request for authentication by the server.  I was
> hoping to send the credentials proactively in the request which is what
> I think the solution I was looking at before was going to do.

    Actually that's the way all the browsers work.
    You send a request without authentication, the server replies with
    an error and the realm, and you send your credential.

    You could, if you really want, send them proactively, I would say,
    by bypassing all the authentication code and just appending them
    to the request to the server (again, I'm just guessing)

    Note that after the first error the client should send all the
    following requests to the same server with your credential, so
    the overhead is really only on the first error.

-- Raffaele