Re: Accept-Charset support

Klaus Weide wrote:

> You seem to have a problem with your browser there.
> Those diacritics look just fine to me...

Peter O.M. responds:
  I  do appreciate your response. I am not professionally
involved in charset issues and do want to  find out
what I am doing wrong.

It sure is not 'right' on my screen.

 Please lets pin it down:

1) I am using Navigator Version 3, as I said.
 I do not understand why you tell me to ask the guy's at Netscape.
 Some are listening in to this. Are THEY doing it wrong?
2) Navigator has Document Encoding option (if I do not need it
    why is it an user's option?)
 Perhaps Netscape folks can explain??
3) Let's look at specific pages OK? This

http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/Welcome.html.cz.CP852
 is supposed to be Czech. So. e.g. The  e caron  (in first line last
words)
 ..v Brne^ looks like (scandinavian?) crossed o for either latin1 or 2.
 Do you get e-caron ?? - with what browser?

3b)Lets go to unicode:
http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/Welcome.html.cz.UNICODE-1-1-UTF-8
 That's even worse. No e-caron looks like A-umlaut

 and the page is almost unreadable.

   If Netscape got it wrong after trying to support it,
    is it not a sign that may be we should have a second look
    on a proposed standard ??

BTW - if I am missing IT completely
      and there is a document which does explain it
      I promise I will read it before continuing.
       Is there one?

     Peter
               (The more coplete quote:)

--