Re: Accept-Charset support

From: Klaus Weide <kweide@tezcat.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:05:27 -0600 (CST)
To: "Peter O.B. Mikes" <pom@llnl.gov>
cc: www-international@w3.org
On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Peter O.B. Mikes wrote:
> > On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >
> > > It is certainly much easier to make a Web clients able to decode UTF-8
> > > to locally available character sets, than to upgrade all client
> > > machines so that they have fonts available to display all of the 10646
> > > characters.
>
>       Besides, character set is not function of a language,
>    math, APL, music, all have different need for character sets
>    and character sets mixtures which can exceed 10646

Hmm.  Text documents with such characters could currently be exchanged
in Internet protocols as text/* other than text/html (assuming agreement
on a charset parameter value).  My understanding is that those characters
connot be used in HTML as defined by the i18n draft - unless they are
mapped to a private zone (and there is agreement between communication
partners).

  Klaus