W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-html@w3.org > January 2003

Re: XHTML doctype and namespace lookups overwhelm w3.org servers?

From: Simon Jessey <simon@jessey.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:17:53 -0500
Message-ID: <000e01c2c56f$a06b1810$6601a8c0@Simon2S0JP11>
To: <www-html@w3.org>

I have been getting a similar problem with XHTML 1.1. When "previewing" a
document in an authoring client I was getting a similar error message
(although without a delay). The big difference between my situation and
yours is that the file was saved with an .html extension. When viewing the
file with the browser in the usual way, it seemed to cope with it without
problems. In the end, I decided to remove the XML declaration at the
beginning of the document and put the character encoding declaration in a
META element instead.

Interestingly, I only put the XML declaration in the document to get around
an IE highlighting bug with absolutely-positioned elements. When I removed
the declaration, I was forced to redesign my style sheet to avoid absolute
positioning where possible.

I am sorry I cannot shed more light on your problem.

Simon Jessey

w: http://jessey.net/blog/
e: simon@jessey.net



----- Original Message -----
From: "Webmaster, Musikcafeen" <ehofmeister@musikcafeen.dk>
To: <www-html@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: XHTML doctype and namespace lookups overwhelm w3.org servers?


>
> I recently bought "Beginning XHTML" co-authored by Dave Raggett, and I was
> rather puzzled by an example (chapter 3, p. 48 "A Simple XHTML document")
> where the DTD is downloaded, before the document is parsed, as far as I
can
> see. It raised the same questions as Jeff Mendenhall came up with. What
> happens is this:
>
> I write the code in the aforementioned example:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE html
> PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
>   <head>
>     <title>First XHTML document</title>
>   </head>
>   <body>
>     <p>This is my first XHTML document.</p>
>   </body>
> </html>
>
> I save it as examp2.htm and examp2.xml respectively.
>
> - When I open examp2.htm in IE 6.0SP1 it displays as it should, according
to
> the book.
> - When I open examp2.xml in IE 6.0SP1 it tries to open the document for
> about 10-15 seconds, then comes up with an error message that says "The
> XML-page cannot be displayed - the resource could not be found:
> 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'." (the actual
> messages are a bit different, as I am using the danish version of IE 6.0,
> but I am loosely translating).
>
> What is important is that I am logged OFF my LAN-connection to the
internet
> when I get the above results. When I log ON and try the same, IE responds
> immediately by showing me the parse tree, however it also shows me the
> document header, which it shouldn't according to the book.
Received on Sunday, 26 January 2003 14:17:56 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 March 2012 18:15:54 GMT