Re: XHTML doctype and namespace lookups overwhelm w3.org servers?

From: Gannon J. Dick <gdick@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 13:46:03 -0600
To: <www-html@w3.org>

No, it's because the MS XML parser couldn't download the DTD.  Connect to
the internet and there is no problem.

You can also download the DTD to a local directory and use that in the
SYSTEM identifier of the DTD and all will be well.
The MS parser will validate XML against a (XML style) DTD and if the file is
XHTML then the file is XML.
People tend to forget that! :-)

The default display for *.xml is the tree based on the OS default XSLT
transform.
The default display for *.htm (and *.html) is the HTML rendering from the
tags.
The default display for *.txt is notepad i.e. as if the file were wrapped in
<pre> tags.

Anyway, the point is, the OS and IE believe what you tell it.  Just calling
a JPEG a text document does not make it so.

Gannon J. Dick