Re: XHTML doctype and namespace lookups overwhelm w3.org servers?

From: Webmaster, Musikcafeen <ehofmeister@musikcafeen.dk>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 16:24:57 +0100
To: <www-html@w3.org>

I recently bought "Beginning XHTML" co-authored by Dave Raggett, and I was
rather puzzled by an example (chapter 3, p. 48 "A Simple XHTML document")
where the DTD is downloaded, before the document is parsed, as far as I can
see. It raised the same questions as Jeff Mendenhall came up with. What
happens is this:

I write the code in the aforementioned example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html
	 PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
  <head>
    <title>First XHTML document</title>
  </head>

I save it as examp2.htm and examp2.xml respectively.

- When I open examp2.htm in IE 6.0SP1 it displays as it should, according to
the book.
- When I open examp2.xml in IE 6.0SP1 it tries to open the document for
about 10-15 seconds, then comes up with an error message that says "The
XML-page cannot be displayed - the resource could not be found:
'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd'." (the actual
messages are a bit different, as I am using the danish version of IE 6.0,
but I am loosely translating).

What is important is that I am logged OFF my LAN-connection to the internet
when I get the above results. When I log ON and try the same, IE responds
immediately by showing me the parse tree, however it also shows me the
document header, which it shouldn't according to the book.

I am a little confused, but as far as I can figure out, it must be problems
related to IE 6.0SP1.
Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.

Regards, Esben Hofmeister