XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 02:56:48 -0800
To: "www html w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>

There, that got your attention.

In case anyone here hasn't seen this yet, if you have any interest in XHTML
2.0, Mark Pilgrim's frank comments are worth a read:

 http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/01/13.html#semantic_obsolescence

After having had my own misgivings about the goals[1] and certainly some of
the specifics[2] of XHTML2, and having first read Daniel's post[3], and now
Mark's, I think there needs to be a serious reconsideration of XHTML2 as an
effort at all.

I'd rather see efforts spent on HTML4/XHTML1,1.1,Basic errata and test
suites.  All of these will provide immediate clear value to the HTML
community.  In addition I think there is value in profiling SVG and SMIL for
integration with XHTML Basic.

Disclaimer: I am Microsoft's representative to, and participate in, the HTML
working group.

Tantek

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/05/html/charter

"XHTML 2.0, the next generation of XHTML whose design goal is to use generic
XML technologies as much as possible."

[2] XHTML2.0 dumps harmless elements which folks have found semantically
useful. It also dumps the extremely useful 'style' attribute which is
critical for certain applications.

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2002Dec/0113.html

And for anyone who was offended by the title of this post, please read this:

 http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/comment/chech.html

Now, back to your regularly scheduled DTD vs. Schema discussion.