Re: XHTML 2.0 considered harmful

From: Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:58:47 +0100
To: www-html@w3.org

Tantek:

>  In case anyone here hasn't seen this yet, if you have any interest
> in XHTML 2.0, Mark Pilgrim's frank comments are worth a read:

> http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/01/13.html#semantic_obsolescence

>  After having had my own misgivings about the goals[1] and certainly
> some of the specifics[2] of XHTML2, and having first read Daniel's
> post[3], and now Mark's, I think there needs to be a serious
> reconsideration of XHTML2 as an effort at all.

One of the main point so Mark's criticism is the surprising
disappearance of the "cite" element. It was there in the 5 August
draft, but was left out of the 11 December draft - with no explanation.

Actually I suspect this was just a mistake. I think "cite" was not meant
to be deleted.

Am I right? I've asked before, but noone answered.

Was "cite" left out intentionally, or was it just a technical mistake?

If it was indeed left out intentionally, then why, why, why???

--
Bertilo Wennergren <bertilow@gmx.net> <http://www.bertilow.com>