Re: escaping escaping

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 06:51:16 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-html@w3.org

> Well I'll be darn'ed.  I never thought this would work

It's well formed, but I'm not sure that it is valid.  Valid XHTML
depends on obeying rules that can't be specified in DTDs.  You can't
of course, represent a CDATA section in this way, and you will still
have gone through a translation from transfer character set to
UCS-4 and from UCS-4 to the display font encoding.

Personally, I see no hardship in using entities (not escapes), but the
other logical way of doing this is to include a plain text resource
as the contents of an object element (this relies on your browser
honouring MIME media types, which is something that has to be assumed
here, as that's what the standards require; discussion of the deliberately
broken behaviour of a market leading browser is off topic here!)