Re: Classes Considered Harmful

From: Claus Färber <list-w3c-html@faerber.muc.de>
Date: 13 Aug 2001 00:06:00 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com> schrieb/wrote:
>    <myelem class="blue"/>

> Here, the presentational attribute of the element not separated from
> content; the presentation has not been applied based upon the
> semantics of the element. [...]

For software, it does not make a difference whether it is the
version above or one of these:

     <myelem class="note" />
     <myelem class="sd2Sdslkj29ndkasdu932ensdlfvsof7u39" />

or even:

     <note />

In all of these cases, there is nothing that would assign any
meaning to the element.

What we would need is an extension to (X)HTML, possibly defined as
a module, introducing new elements with a prose that defines their
semantics. On the other hand, there's already DOCBOOK...

Claus
--
begin  Your-so-called-newsreader-is-seriously-broken
unless you can read this.