What is expected behavior when a user tabs on the select box whic h doesn't contain any option?

From: Amy Lee <amy@avantgo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 15:10:09 -0400 (EDT)
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
I am trying to understand what is expected behavior when a user tabs on a
select box which doesn't contain any option. In IE and Netscape when I tab
on the widget, the empty pop-up menu is displayed. The spect says "A select
element must contain at least one option element..." but it doesn't mention
about this case. I will appreciate if you let me know.

	<select>
	</select>

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/forms.html#edef-SELECT

thanks!