Re: Marquee

From: Lawrance Family Member <lawranc5@airmail.net>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:05:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Chris Wilson" <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, "'Garth Wallace'" <gwalla@hotmail.com>
Cc: <www-html@w3.org>
Garth-
As a surfer, I can agree with you, I don't like blinking text.  As an
author, though, I think it is foolish to say that something should not
be standardized because someone doesn't like it.  One way or another,
authors will find ways to get the page to look EXACTLY how they want it
to.  Animated gifs, Java applets, whatever...  As an engineer, you
should respect the desire of authors to include as many effects as they
wish.  But, being an engineer (this I am assuming), you should also
realize that in order to acheive the effects authors want without CSS
standardization means that your servers will be clogged with bandwidth
hogging GIFs, applets, etc.  Wouldn't you rather just have authors use
bandwidth-friendly CSS?
-Joey