Re: Marquee

>From: "Lawrance Family Member" <lawranc5@airmail.net>
>To: "Garth Wallace" <gwalla@hotmail.com>

>Actually, it IS possible to achieve the effect of Microsoft's
>proprietary Marquee tag without the Marquee tag.  Using JavaScript, it
>is possible to access CSS positioning (and change it):
>In Netscape Communicator:
>document.object.left
>document.object.right
>document.object.top
>you get the idea....
>In Internet Explorer:
>document.all.object.style.left
>document.all.object.style.right
>document.all.object.style.top
>et cetera....
>Using the setTimeout() function inside a "scrolling" function, it is
>possible to create the scrolling marquee effect of the Marquee tag.
>I feel that making a marquee tag would be beneficial because every time
>I've heard an engineer like you say some idea was not good, some author
>like me will find ways to achieve what we want, no matter how much
>strain we put on the server through gigantic animated gifs....

Yes, but from a design perspective, just because you can doesn't mean
you should. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

  CSS
>wouldn't even exist had it not been for the demands of authors placed
on
>engineers to make content to look how they wanted it to look.  I am not
>suggesting this idea because it is not possible already; I am
suggesting
>this idea to make it easier to include this functionality with greater
>ease.

It's my belief that, in an ideal world, attractive effects should be
simple to implement and unattractive effects should be difficult.

>  Such is the case of other CSS properties, like:
>A:hover { (whatever) }
>This could be achieved with onmouseover and onmouseout event handlers,
>but CSS found a way to make things easier for authors.

Yes, but A:hover is a relatively benign effect.

------------ "I am not a number! I am a free man!" ---------------
                                        - The Prisoner*

*or a USC student       <gwalla@planetall.com>