Re: Marquee

From: Garth Wallace <gwalla@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 19:26:08 PDT
To: lawranc5@airmail.net
Cc: www-html@w3.org
>From: "Lawrance Family Member" <lawranc5@airmail.net>
>To: "Garth Wallace" <gwalla@hotmail.com>

>Actually, it IS possible to achieve the effect of Microsoft's
>proprietary Marquee tag without the Marquee tag.  Using JavaScript, it
>is possible to access CSS positioning (and change it):
>In Netscape Communicator:
>you get the idea....
>In Internet Explorer:
>et cetera....
>Using the setTimeout() function inside a "scrolling" function, it is
>possible to create the scrolling marquee effect of the Marquee tag.
>I feel that making a marquee tag would be beneficial because every time
>I've heard an engineer like you say some idea was not good, some author
>like me will find ways to achieve what we want, no matter how much
>strain we put on the server through gigantic animated gifs....

Yes, but from a design perspective, just because you can doesn't mean
you should. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea.

>wouldn't even exist had it not been for the demands of authors placed
>engineers to make content to look how they wanted it to look.  I am not
>suggesting this idea because it is not possible already; I am
>this idea to make it easier to include this functionality with greater

It's my belief that, in an ideal world, attractive effects should be
simple to implement and unattractive effects should be difficult.

>  Such is the case of other CSS properties, like:
>A:hover { (whatever) }
>This could be achieved with onmouseover and onmouseout event handlers,
>but CSS found a way to make things easier for authors.

Yes, but A:hover is a relatively benign effect.

------------ "I am not a number! I am a free man!" ---------------
                                        - The Prisoner*
*or a USC student       <gwalla@planetall.com>