Re: Marquee

>From: "Lawrance Family Member" <lawranc5@airmail.net>
>
>As a surfer, I can agree with you, I don't like blinking text.  As an
>author, though, I think it is foolish to say that something should not
>be standardized because someone doesn't like it.  One way or another,
>authors will find ways to get the page to look EXACTLY how they want it
>to.  Animated gifs, Java applets, whatever...  As an engineer, you
>should respect the desire of authors to include as many effects as they
>wish.  But, being an engineer (this I am assuming), you should also
>realize that in order to acheive the effects authors want without CSS
>standardization means that your servers will be clogged with bandwidth
>hogging GIFs, applets, etc.

Hm, you've got a point. However, I think that most authors who use
blinking text wouldn't even consider it if it wasn't so easy to do. From
a design perspective, it seems like most BLINK-based pages use it not
because they specifically wanted blinking text, but because they wanted
a quick way of getting the reader's attention.

------------ "I am not a number! I am a free man!" ---------------
                                        - The Prisoner*

*or a USC student       <gwalla@planetall.com>