Re: Validation difficulties

On Sat, 21 Feb 1998, Rob wrote:

> I've got a dilemma with the following
>
>   <A HREF="page.cgi?arg1=val1&arg2=val2">link</A>
>
> NSGMLS sys (rightly I assume) that &arg2 is not a valid entity and
> returns an error.

Yes, this has been a known problem for some time. I've been
meaning to write it up in detail sometime, but haven't yet.
In the meantime, see:

    http://www.cs.duke.edu/~dsb/kgv-faq/errors.html#bad-entity
and
    http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_foot.html#FOOT26

> So how can one get around this problem? Or should I just ignore it.

You can replace the '&'s in the href with '&amp;', or try using
';' as separators instead of '&' (a well-written CGI script will
allow you to use ';' instead of '&' between parameters; if this
CGI script doesn't, send e-mail to the authors, or if you are
the author, change it yourself.)

> Something be changed in the DTD to allow any character in a URL.

That isn't possible with SGML.

Hope this helps,

Gerald
--