Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames

Dave Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>
> > > I am very disappointed and alarmed at the inclusion of Netscape's 'frame'
> > > construct within the draft HTML4.0 specification.
> > >
> > > I wish to express, in the strongest terms, my concern that frames should not
> > > be allowed to enter the rulebook of standard HTML.
> >
> > I just would like to point out that the "standard HTML" is what the W3C
> > members want it to be.
> > --
> > Arnaud
>
> And who are they and who appoints them??

W3C "is open to any organization which signs a membership agreement."
[http://www.w3.org/Consortium/]

> W3C is not a standards body under
> any international agreement that I know of.

I never meant otherwise and this is why I had put quotes around
"standard HTML"...

> ISO is the standards body, and
> when they get around to issuing it, ISO-HTML will be "standard HTML". No
> body that is prepared to put <FRAME> in a standard and not <MATH> should
> be entrusted with standards.

First, beware that W3C is working with ISO. Second, Maths are important
enough to W3C that it has a Working Group for it
[http://www.w3.org/Math/]. Third, it's up to ISO members to decide what
should go or not in ISO-HTML, just as it is to W3C members to decide
what goes in HTML 4.0. But realize that many companies out there are
actually members of both organizations.
--
Arnaud