Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusion of frames

At 8:02 AM -0500 1997-09-09, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>W3C "is open to any organization which signs a membership agreement."
>[http://www.w3.org/Consortium/]

I folowed this link, found out that since I wasn't a member of an
organization, I couldn't join.  Okay.  No problem.  But then, I followed
the link below, first to the World Wide Web journal ("A Publication of the
World Wide Web Consortium"), then to the call for papers, and finally to
the "style" page, which instructed on the use of style in the creation of
HTML documents for the journal.  Imagine how shocked I was to find this:
>Copyediting Guide
>
>Font Conventions
>
>       Italic is used for:
>              Filenames and directory names (/etc/hosts)
>              Internet names and addresses (ora.com)
>              New key terms and concepts when they are
>              introduced
>
>       Use the <I> tag to produce italics.
Uh oh.  The <I> tag?  Now <EM>that's</EM> a no-no!
>       Courier (Constant width) is used to show computer
>       output and fragments of source code.
"Courier" -- this is pretty Platform specific, I'd say.  Also, wouldn't
<KBD> and <SAMP> be *much* more appropriate?
>       Use the <tt> tag to produce constant width text.
Don't they mean <PRE>?  At least, they should if they want to have it
constant w/ regards to the next line.
>       Courier bold is used within examples when text is
>       typed literally by the user (% shar -f /tmp/shar.tmp
>       *).
>
>       Create courier bold with nested font tags, like this:

Nested *font* TAGS?  Oh my goodness!

>       Note: you may not see proper courier bold on your
>       display because browsers are not required to support
>       nested font changes. Our filter will understand.
>
>       Courier italic is used within examples when the
>       reader needs to substitute a variable with an actual value (%
>       telnet hostname).
>
>       Create courier italic with nested font tags, like this:

>       As with courier bold, your browser may not display this
>       nesting as constant italic.
[snip]

>References, Bibliographies, and Footnotes
>
>       For in-text references, use the form [1] in the text, with
>       the corresponding source listed in the Reference section
>       like this:
>
>       1. Name of author, Name of article, Name of
>       publication, Date, Pages.
(in the HTML code itself, since you can't see it in plain text):

Date, Pages.

First of all, the names of articles, according to almost all bibliographic
standards, including MLA's [1], are in quotes, NOT italicized.  Secondly,
shouldn't <CITE> be used instead of <i> for "Name of publication"?

All this, mind you, in a page linking off of the page of the official W3C
journal.  And people wonder why elements are referred to as "tags" and
people still use "B" or "I" instead of "STRONG" and "EM"!

[                    Jordan Reiter                     ]
[            mailto:jreiter@mail.slc.edu               ]
[ "You can't just say, 'I don't want to get involved.' ]
[  The universe got you involved."  --Hal Lipset, P.I. ]