RE: Targeting to <DIV> (or other ids)

On Wednesday, November 26, 1997 9:07 AM, Jordan Reiter
[SMTP:jreiter@mail.slc.edu] wrote:
> I think this doesn't. Because think about it--essentially it's telling
the
> page to jump to that section of text, no different than in a standard
> non-CSS page. The browser should simply jump to that text, and if it
means
> scrolling a floating element, so be it. But it doesn't imply that
documents
> can be embedded in the DIV element, it just means that it appears to be
> that way. This in fact has perfect degredation, btw, to lower browsers
that
> normally would be looking at a blank screen (no frames).

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  Let me give another example in the same syntax:

<P><A href='http://www.usc.edu' target='#here'>USC</A></P>
<DIV id='here'>
  Please, don't make me go!!
   . . .
</DIV>

Notice this is the same syntax but it has a very different meaning.  I
suppose it could be thrown out as illegal.  But there seem to be cases
where it is legal as well:

<P><A href='http://www.isi.edu' target='#here'>USC-ISI</A></P>
<OBJECT id='here' href='http://www.usc.edu' />

The rules for legality are fairly tricky.

And just to be the devil's advocate, let me throw in this one:

<P><A href='http://www.isi.edu' target='#here'>USC-ISI</A></P>
<OBJECT id='here'>
   This is some content that will be shown when this page first loads.
   . . .
</OBJECT>

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer