Targeting to <DIV> (or other ids)

Andrew n marshall (amarshal@usc.edu)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:18:21 -0800

From: Andrew n marshall <amarshal@usc.edu>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 23:18:21 -0800
Subject: Targeting to <DIV> (or other ids)

Something that I just realized, thanks to my "<DIV> as Frames" example:

With CSS-2's overflow:scroll there should be a way to scroll to a
particular section of the enclosed content.  In frames, this would be done
with the 'TARGET='.  Currently this refers to Frame names.  I recommend we
extend this to include id's by preceding the value by a '#'.  For example:

<DIV id='sidebar'>
   <A href='#sect2' target='#main'>Section 2</A>
</DIV>
<DIV id='main'>
   . . .
   <DIV id='sect2'>
      <H1>Section Two</H2>
      . . .
   </DIV>
</DIV>

The bigger question this brings to mind is: Does this allow embedding
documents?  Personally, I don't like the idea of embedding documents over
arbitrary elements.  Anyone have any other suggestions to get around this?

Andrew n marshall
  student - artist - programmer
    http://www.media-electronica.com/anm-bin/anm
      "Everyone a mentor,  Everyone a pupil"