Re: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

Liam Quinn (
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:42:19 -0500

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 14:42:19 -0500
From: Liam Quinn <>
Subject: RE: Header, Footer, and Sidebars

At 09:53 AM 26/11/97 -0800, Benjamin Franz wrote:
>On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Todd Fahrner wrote:
>> Benjamin Franz wrote, at 8:46 -0800 on 26.11.97:
>> I agree mostly about stylesheets, and generally about the need for
>> improvement, but my tests suggest that you can use OBJECT markup today
in a
>> highly degradable (universally pre-degraded?) way for some cases at
>> In the example above, everybody but IE4 sees just normal links to the
>> referenced HTML objects, and in this instance
>> <> you see either the Flash object
or a
>> GIF and some marked-up text telling you what you're missing.
>Except in the low x NS4.0x browsers where the stuff between <OBJECT>
>and </OBJECT> just disappears completely and you get...nothing. And in
>MSIE 3.X browsers you get assailed with 'Insecure ActiveX' alerts and
>it hangs.

MSIE4 includes a similar warning when ActiveX is disabled.  Specifically,
it cries that "An ActiveX control on this page is not safe.  Your current
security settings prohibit running unsafe controls on this page.  As a
result, this page may not display as intended."  FWIW, it does the exact
same thing with Java applets when Java is disabled.  Looks like IE4
doesn't trust authors to write gracefully degrading pages, so they don't
let them.

Version: PGP for Personal Privacy 5.0
Charset: noconv

Liam Quinn