Re: Bandwidth

James Green (jmkgre@essex.ac.uk)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:34:20 +0000 (GMT)

From: James Green <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk>
To: Albert Lunde <albert-lunde@nwu.edu>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 14:34:20 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Bandwidth

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 7:58:53 CST Albert Lunde <albert-lunde@nwu.edu>
wrote:

> > Whilst they do help enormously, they do not solve the problem entirely.
> > For instance, in a live broadcast, people can hardly get the entire
> > file from a cache went the EOF hasn't been transmitted yet, can they? A
> > better system of single-distribution is needed.
> [...]
> > Now, why couldn't there have been one file going to each country that
> > requests it, it gets stored temporarily in the country's main centre
> > (like Telehouse or LINK in the UK) where the appropriate ISPs are given
> > access to the file and they transmit it to their users.
>
> This sounds a lot more like IP multi-casting and/or the MBONE, which
> _has_ been applied to live audio/video transmission. I don't know
> of applications of IP multi-casting to file-serving.
>
> Doing much better with IP multi-casting than multi-level proxy caches
> might require advance knowledge of who would want what files
> where.

Not really, it would be upon demand. Think about it: User from country
X wants a file, so once that has come along, a local (country) copy is
ready. Only when the local space limit has been reached will the least
wanted files be overwritten.

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk