Re: Bandwidth

Albert Lunde (albert-lunde@nwu.edu)
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 7:58:53 CST

To: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 7:58:53 CST
Cc: www-html@w3.org
From: albert-lunde@nwu.edu (Albert Lunde)
Subject: Re: Bandwidth

> Whilst they do help enormously, they do not solve the problem entirely.
> For instance, in a live broadcast, people can hardly get the entire
> file from a cache went the EOF hasn't been transmitted yet, can they? A
> better system of single-distribution is needed.
[...]
> Now, why couldn't there have been one file going to each country that
> requests it, it gets stored temporarily in the country's main centre
> (like Telehouse or LINK in the UK) where the appropriate ISPs are given
> access to the file and they transmit it to their users.

This sounds a lot more like IP multi-casting and/or the MBONE, which
_has_ been applied to live audio/video transmission. I don't know
of applications of IP multi-casting to file-serving.

Doing much better with IP multi-casting than multi-level proxy caches
might require advance knowledge of who would want what files
where.