Re: Support for Vector Images

Eric A. Meyer (
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:31:41 -0500

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:31:41 -0500
To: <>
From: "Eric A. Meyer" <>
Cc: <>
Subject: RE: Support for Vector Images

At 1:00 -0500 11/25/97, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:
>I believe there has been intermittent grumbling about the lack of support
>for CGM in Web browsers for some time now. Would a formal plea >from the
>W3C help things? I don't know, but I'm inclined to doubt it.

   Hard to say.  I recall a proposed format called the Simple Vector Format
(SVF), which seemed to be on some sort of track to adoption and then
disappeared.  It's too bad, too, since it seemed like a nice compact little
format, although I remember beefing even then about the fact that CGM would
be a better solution.  I don't know if the W3C ever seriously considered
it; I was a young'n then and ignorant of the Ways of the Standards.
Perhaps someone here remembers better than I...?

Eric A. Meyer  -  -
 Hypermedia Systems Manager
 Digital Media Services
 Case Western Reserve University