Re: Support for Vector Images

Clive Bruton (clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 25 Nov 97 09:10:27 +0000

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 97 09:10:27 +0000
From: Clive Bruton <clive@typonaut.demon.co.uk>
To: "'www-html@w3.org'" <www-html@w3.org>
cc: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Support for Vector Images

Andrew n marshall wrote at 25/11/97 3:57 am

>I would greatly appreciate the W3C to include a recommendation for
>vector-based images for HTML.  Personally I would prefer this to be a
>monochromatic format that could be rendered in the foreground color (great
>opportunity for scripts!!).  EPS files come to mind as a quick and easy
>solution to this problem, although I'm not an expert in the pros and cons
>of image formats.

I think EPS is a reasonable solution, except that some will complain that
Adobe "owns" it. However if you're ok with EPS, may I suggest PDF, which
is supported in any browser that has a plug-in API. Of course there are
other formats, including Flash from Macromedia and Electrifier from
Lari/Apple.

If you want to see an embedded pdf
<http://www.fontzone.com/typonaut/samples/adams.html>

-- Clive