Re: HTML Streaming

At 08:12 PM 8/24/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Members of the www.html List,
>
>Tags can be in a variety places in a HTML file and still be displayed in the
>same way by the browser. For example, the title tag, the first thing you see,
>can be placed at the end of the HTML file. I would like to see the
>development of a standard that organizes tags into a streamable HTML file.
>The compiled HTML file would allow the browser to view the HTML file as it is
>
>downloaded. For example, the title tag would be placed first. My streaming
>HTML protocols are very early in development and I would appreciate any help.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Albert Fine

Elements of a page pop up as the file is downloaded, with the exception of
tables, which must be fully loaded to display (and with the absence of
WIDTH/HEIGHT attributes in IMG tags, any images in the tables must be
loaded as well.)

Until now..the HTML 4 specs say (quote) "The ability of designers to
recommend column widths allows user agents to display table data
incrementally (as it arrives) rather than waiting for the entire table
before rendering."

So basically, as long as nobody places their HEAD, TITLE, tags, etc in
unorthodox places, the HTML in essence will 'stream'.
~  Anthony DiPasquale - anthony@pce.net   ~
~     http://www.emulation-world.com      ~
~           ICQ UIN: 1942112              ~