Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)

David Perrell (
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:26:16 -0800

From: "David Perrell" <>
To: "Scott E. Preece" <>
Cc: <>
Subject: Re: <IMAGE>? <TT> == <I>? toHell(NS)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:26:16 -0800

Scott E. Preece wrote:
> *Any* behavior in the face or erroneous markup is guessing.  If the
> markup was:
> 	<TT>some</I>text and <TT>some more</TT>
> the guess you suggest would presumably result in the whole string
> in TT, where it would appear, to me, that the author did not intend
> that.  Throwing back your own retort - how much time should it spend
> guessing what the extra <TT> means?

None, IMO. So far as I know, TT and I are not accumulative. The second
<TT> is like turning on a switch that's already on -- no change.
Likewise, </I> is the off switch for italic. If it's already off,
ignore it.

If possible (and it is), I would expect parts of this sentence to be
rendered as <I>italic proportional <TT>italic monospaced and </I>
regular monospaced</TT>. Is NSN "guessing" I made a mistake when it
renders everything from <I> to </TT> in italic proportional?

David Perrell