Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

Ray Davis (rdavis@masschaos.de.convex.com)
Wed, 29 May 1996 12:55:09 +0200

From: "Ray Davis" <rdavis@masschaos.de.convex.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 12:55:09 +0200
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: Proposal: New Anchor attributes

> 	<resource href="http://www.foo.com/foo.tar.gz">
> 		<link rel=replica href="http://www.foo.com/foo.tar.gz">
> 		<link rel=replica href="http://www.bar.com/mirror/foo.tar.gz">
> 		<link rel=replica href="http://www.baz.com/net-stuff/foo1.9.tar.gz">
> 	</resource>
>
> So a <resource>-savvy browser, when requested to follow the link
> to http://www.foo.com/foo.tar.gz would have enough information
> to try the replicas automatically, if www.foo.com didn't seem
> to be responding.
> The algorithm for seleting a replica -- and for fail-over -- needn't
> be the same for all browsers. It should be network-friendly (i.e.
> don't always start all TCP connections at once). Something like:

This idea solves a lot of problems.  Now if there were some way to
decide which mirror is "closer" networking wise.

Note that if I were writing a browser to handle the above resource,
I would fire off all 3 mirror connections at once and see which one
is best after a few seconds, then drop the rest.  Perhaps I would
only do this for my personal use though.  :)  It's something to keep
in mind anyway.

Ray