Microsoft Advertises Incompatibility

Lee Daniel Crocker (lee@piclab.com)
Fri, 24 May 1996 22:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Microsoft Advertises Incompatibility
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 22:14:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@calweb.com>
From: Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>

It's bad enough that browser makers and W3 can't agree on how
to punctuate an English sentence correctly, but I just found
http://www.microsoft.com/ie/author/htmlspec/char_set.htm, in
which Microsoft proudly displays how to use &#151; and other
illegal characters in MSIE to get real quotes and dashes.

This isn't rocket science people; let's get it right.  There
is no excuse for standard HTML not to loudly deprecate non-
Unicode characters, and especially no excuse for Microsoft
to violate Unicode in an app that runs on their OS supporting
Unicode just fine.  If I run Microsoft Unipad, I get correct
punctuation with no problem.  Let's fix it, and get rid of
that stupid page to undo whatever damage has already been done.

BTW, I reported this bug in MSIE weeks ago, so they can't
claim ignorance either.  They're just plainly choosing to
ignore a standard they and many others have worked hard for.
And don't tell me remapping 16 characters is too much work
to implement.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker
lee@piclab.com (formerly leecr@microsoft.com)