Re: Microsoft Advertises Incompatibility

At 10:14p -0700 05/24/96, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
>It's bad enough that browser makers and W3 can't agree on how
>to punctuate an English sentence correctly, but I just found
>http://www.microsoft.com/ie/author/htmlspec/char_set.htm, in
>which Microsoft proudly displays how to use — and other
>illegal characters in MSIE to get real quotes and dashes.

I, too, was shocked when I saw this page. They even have the nerve
to call it the "Complete" character set. Sheesh! The correct thing
to do would be to make a separate page called the *Windows* character
set (in a non-Internet section of their web site, say deskapps or
something) and link to it solely as a "sidebar". But passing it off
as acceptable HTML is unforgiveable.
Crucify them, crucify them!

>This isn't rocket science people; let's get it right.  There
>is no excuse for standard HTML not to loudly deprecate non-
>Unicode characters, and especially no excuse for Microsoft
>to violate Unicode in an app that runs on their OS supporting
>Unicode just fine.

I've just updated my "HTML Document Character Set" web page
(whoops, left a sentence unfinished at the top!) so it now
includes about fifty Unicode character references. You can
find it at
<URL:http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/doc-charset.html>

-Walter