Why a DTD for HTML 3.2? (fwd)

MegaZone (megazone@livingston.com)
Tue, 21 May 1996 17:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Why a DTD for HTML 3.2? (fwd)
To: www-html@w3.org
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 17:39:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: MegaZone <megazone@livingston.com>

Once upon a time Marc Salomon shaped the electrons to say...
>Since SGML systems are not deployed* nor implemented* on the WWW, and HTML 3.2
>is an effort to document and standardize some of the less-worse newer current

Validators are SGML based and need a DTD to work.  Validator's are vital to
good code.
Some search engines use SGML to weight things.
Some HTML editors have a core of SGML technology for use in authoring and
can be 'upgraded' with a new DTD.
And there are browsers than use SGML parsers as their core code.

SGML use definitely does not round to 0.

-MZ
--
Although I work for Livingston Enterprises Technical Support, I alone am
responsible for everything contained herein.  So don't waste my managers'