Re: images as bullets in <UL>

On Thu, 16 May 1996 14:20:43 -0800, Charles Peyton Taylor <CTaylor@wposmtp.nps.navy.mil> wrote:
> I also looked at the object draft, but I don't think
> <object> is the way to go because it not only does
> images but also other things like quicktime movies,
> which I don't see as being good list bullets.

Well, allowing an object to be used as a bullet would potentially make
it possible to include the image data right there in the HTML itself.
Since bullets typically are small, this feature might actually get
used.

> <ul type=disc src="redball.gif" alt="o"
> In this example, if I'm using a gui browser with
> "auto-load images" turned on, the the UA should use
> the image.  If I have it turned off, then it should use
> the disc.  If I'm using a text browser, then it
> should use the "o".

I somehow like the idea of having an ALT attribute for UL and LI. This
would allow one to do this:

<ol>
  <li> First item
  <ol>
    <li alt="1-a)">First of first
    <li alt="1-b)">Second of first
  </ol>
  <li> Second item
  <ol>
    <li alt="2-a)">First of second
  </ol>
</ol>

However, a different name than ALT may be desired.

The reason why I like putting item labels such as III-c in the <li>
element instead of in style sheets is because IMHO, they are definitely
content and not presentation. Having it as an attribute would allow a
search engine to search for item III-c without first having to apply
a style sheet. On the other hand, it would also still be possible to
search for the third subitem of item 3 because one would still be using
ordered lists.

Marcus
--
Marcus E. Hennecke