Re: MATH

Lineaer Algebraiker (ma104@math.uio.no)
Mon, 13 May 1996 11:42:13 +0200

To: Bj|rn-Helge Mevik <bhm@math.uio.no>
Cc: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: MATH
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 11:42:13 +0200
From: Lineaer Algebraiker <ma104@math.uio.no>

> [James =D8. Baum]
> >I agree with you there, and was aware of the issue, but I still mainta=
in that =

> >the author should be given the opportunity to omit the <math> tags aro=
und =

> >'math symbols' such as &le; - definitely not all uses of this symbol a=
re in =

> >mathematical contexts
> (... snip ...)
> ><math>&alpha; &beta; &gamma; </math> are the first letters of the gree=
k =

> >alphabet and a priori have nothing to do with mathematics though they =
are =

> >often used there.
> =

> 	I agree on your principle:  Sumbols often used in math, but
> 	which a priori have nothing to do with mathematics, should be
> 	allowed outside of <math>...</math>.  The greek letters make a
> 	good example.  But relational symbols like &le; (<=3D)?  Please
> 	correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they pure mathematical
> 	symbols?  I cannot think of any example of the use of (e.g.) <=3D
> 	outside of a mathematical context.
> =

> =

> 					B/H
> =

> -- =

> Bj=F8rn-Helge Mevik	<bhm@math.uio.no>
> =

> =

Thats not the point. Authors are guaranteed to try to use these symbols =

outside of <math> so any good browser would have to support them anyway -=
 so =

why not make this the definition! That way we avoid the (IMHO) unwanted =

possibility of a symbol having one representation in and one out of <math=
> - =

the two examples I recollect here are :
&times; 'x' out of and "centered dot" in <math>
&rarr;  "registered trademark" out of and "right arrow" in <math>

( as represented in arena (reference software according to wc3 (?))
-- =

James =D8. Baum
MA104 Line=E6r Algebra Fjernundervisningsprosjektet -
MA104 Linear Algebra 'Open University Project'
Institute of Mathematics, University of Oslo, Norway
http://www.math.uio.no/~ma104/