Re: MATH

Bj|rn-Helge Mevik (bhm@math.uio.no)
Mon, 13 May 1996 08:52:23 GMT

Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 08:52:23 GMT
To: www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: MATH
From: Bj|rn-Helge Mevik <bhm@math.uio.no>

[James =D8. Baum]
>I agree with you there, and was aware of the issue, but I still =
maintain that=20
>the author should be given the opportunity to omit the <math> tags =
around=20
>'math symbols' such as &le; - definitely not all uses of this symbol =
are in=20
>mathematical contexts
(... snip ...)
><math>&alpha; &beta; &gamma; </math> are the first letters of the =
greek=20
>alphabet and a priori have nothing to do with mathematics though =
they are=20
>often used there.

	I agree on your principle:  Sumbols often used in math, but
	which a priori have nothing to do with mathematics, should be
	allowed outside of <math>...</math>.  The greek letters make a
	good example.  But relational symbols like &le; (<=3D)?  Please
	correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they pure mathematical
	symbols?  I cannot think of any example of the use of (e.g.) <=3D
	outside of a mathematical context.

					B/H

--=20
Bj=F8rn-Helge Mevik	<bhm@math.uio.no>