Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Scott E. Preece (preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com)
Fri, 10 May 1996 09:17:48 -0500

Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 09:17:48 -0500
From: preece@predator.urbana.mcd.mot.com (Scott E. Preece)
To: connolly@beach.w3.org
Cc: megazone@livingston.com, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

  From: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>

| But <object> doesn't address the need to represent figures
| with descriptive markup. In recent proposals for FIG that I've
| seen, a figure wouldn't even necessarily involve a graphic.
| For example:
|
| 	<fig>
| 	<caption>RSA in three lines of Perl</caption>
| 	<pre>
| 	lksjerlij34liwj34lij
| 	</pre>
| 	</fig>
---

In a recent note I suggested adding CAPTION and CREDIT as sub-elements
of DIV.  I recant.  They should be sub-elements of things that are of
defined types (and, therefore, useful for building things like lists of
figures and lists of tables).  So CAPTION and CREDIT should be
sub-elements of TABLE and FIG and, maybe, OBJECT.

Maybe, if you're going to define FIG as just a wrapper for marking
something as a figure, you should change its name to FIGURE, to avoid
confusion with the previous use of FIG as an inclusion mechanism.

scott

--
scott preece
phone:	217-384-8589			  fax:	217-384-8550