Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Benjamin Franz (
Fri, 10 May 1996 06:24:07 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 06:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: Benjamin Franz <>
To: Dave Carter <>
Cc: MegaZone <>,
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

On Fri, 10 May 1996, Dave Carter wrote:

> On Fri, 10 May 1996, MegaZone wrote:
> > <center> is *not* experimental, not is <font>  What they documented in 3.2
> > have been tested in the field for months and behavior was documented.
> > The very fact that they *are* in 3.2 means they are not experimental.
> > <center> is basically an alias for <div align=center> now, and it is there
> > to allow for the huge number of legacy documents that used it since there
> > was no other way to center for such a long time.
> >
> Of course they are experimental, they are implemented in very few
> browsers.

Ok. Not to contribute to this out of control spiral - but the underlined
statment is simply and provably WRONG. Even a brief look at the
BrowserCaps results would have told you that FONT and CENTER are used by a
clear, and steadily increasing, *majority* of brands of browsers today. My
count gave seventeen seperate brands of browsers that support the FONT
tag for at least sizing, and only twelve that did not. Noticably *all* of
the ones that do not are extremely low market share players (< 5% total
combined market share).

The CENTER tag is even more universal. I could only five brands
of browsers that *don't* support it - compared with twenty six
brands of browsers that *do* support the CENTER tag.

Whether you count browsers by number of users or by number of brands -
FONT and CENTER are clearly used by most browsers - not 'very few'.

Benjamin Franz