Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

T. Joseph W. Lazio (
Fri, 10 May 1996 08:44:21 -0400

From: "T. Joseph W. Lazio" <>
Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 08:44:21 -0400
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

>>>>> "Megazone" == MegaZone  <> writes:

Megazone> Once upon a time Paul Prescod shaped the electrons to say...

>> sake! And FONT face control elements! How can you call that
>> platform independent?"

Megazone> I don't see this being any more control than a style sheet
Megazone> gives.  And any browser that doesn't understand need not use
Megazone> that font face.

 Your last sentence summarizes the problem succintly.  Take the
following two HTML bits:

------ bit 1
<FONT COLOR="#00FF00" FACE=ARIEL>Livingston, Inc.</FONT> has the solution
to your IT needs.

------ bit 2
<EM CLASS=COMPANY>Livingston, Inc.</EM> has the solution to your IT needs.
<!-- with the document being linked to a style sheet containing -->
<!-- em.COMPANY { font-family: ariel; color: #00FF00; } -->

 Which is to be preferred?  Think particularly about browsers which
aren't capable of displaying the Ariel font or color....

-- Joseph