Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

Walter Ian Kaye (
Fri, 10 May 1996 04:32:37 -0700

Date: Fri, 10 May 1996 04:32:37 -0700
From: (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: Re: <math>, <fig>, ... (fwd)

At 7:08a 05/10/96, Paul Prescod wrote:
>The problem is that the more formatting stuff gets into the language, the
>more formatting stuff _will_ get into the language. "HTML isn't really
>platform independant has _elements_ for _centering_ for gawd's
>sake! And FONT face control elements! How can you call that platform

Well, they are *optional* and cause no difficulty whatsoever under Lynx.
Is FoxPro, which has editions for DOS, Windows, MacOS, and Unix (listed
in order of product release;) not really cross-platform because FoxPro
developers sometimes bracket portions of their code for specific platforms?

>Our apple is becoming an aporange before our eyes. It's not a firm ripe
>apple, but it isn't a soft, sweet orange either. It's a confusing mix.

Remember -- those elements are only stop-gap measures while we await style
sheets. Neither NCC nor MS has ever claimed anything grander for them,
though it would have been nice if they'd made some kind of disclaimer to
put purists at ease! Hmm, perhaps this should now be stated in the 3.2 spec
just to make sure. Dan? :)