Re: HTML 3.xx & scalability

Walter Ian Kaye (boo@best.com)
Thu, 9 May 1996 19:08:52 -0700

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 19:08:52 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye)
Subject: Re: HTML 3.xx & scalability

At 10:37a 05/09/96, Marcus E. Hennecke wrote:
>On Thu, 9 May 1996 02:40:38 -0700, boo@best.com (Walter Ian Kaye) wrote:
>> I rely on <table> support to ensure that my text elements remain
>>properly positioned relative to graphics, regardless of font size. As an
>>example:
>
>(Walter: it would be nice if you could wrap your lines to around 72
>characters)

Oh, my message! Thought you meant that it would be nice if we could do that
in HTML regardless of font. Now that *would* be nice! ;)
I remember years ago reading a reference about the easiest reading being a
17-pt font at 66-character lines, but I can't remember where (and I can't
seem to find a good font at that size -- maybe I'll have to create my own
web font with lots of hinting [as if font design isn't painstaking enough
with no hinting]).

-Walter