Re: HTML 3.2 and Frames

Lee Daniel Crocker (lcrocker@calweb.com)
Wed, 8 May 1996 09:51:44 -0700 (PDT)

Subject: Re: HTML 3.2 and Frames
To: samake@bigaxp.mro.dec.com (Modibo Samake)
Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 09:51:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Lee Daniel Crocker" <lcrocker@calweb.com>
Cc: www-html@w3.org

> I know FRAMES are Netscapeism but can anobody why they are not
> included in the new HTML 3.2 specifications.

The _functionality_ of frames will doubtless be included in a
future HTML spec, but the current way Netscape and Microsoft
implement them is severely broken. The draft sepc on how to do
frames with style sheets is more functional and less dangerous
than the current implementations.

While NS/MS extensions like "center" and "font" may be objected
to on philosophical grounds, the technical reality is that they
are harmless to existing implementations.  "frameset" is not
harmless--it completely breaks anything but NSN2+ & MSIE3+.