Re: Practical Joke

At 03:32 am 5/8/96 GMT, Paul Derbyshire <pderbysh@chat.carleton.ca> spake:
>Well, a week ago I strated getting all this *stuff* in my mailbox, about
>CGI programming to be exact. It persisted, and I decided to investigate by
>looking at message headers and stuff. Turns out some prankster forged a
>subscribe to put me onto some sort of cgi mailing list.

   I hate adding to the noise level on this list, but it's important
to straighten this out.

   Nobody here has forged anything, and I have no idea where this
guy got his information.  He never contacted me about it.

   I am the system administrator and list maintainer of the list
and host in question, <webprog@cgibook.com>.  I just got back from
Internet World in California and found this guy's complaints in
my lists.

   I checked my logs, and he subscribed himself.  I have his IP
address in my logs as the one who sent the subscription request.
Additionally, my logs showing that he got mailed the instructions
about how to unsubscribe just like everyone else.  All of this went
to the same mailbox on the same machine that he's been sending all
his complaints from.

   In conclusion,

      1. He subscribed himself.

      2. He unsubscribed himself.

      3. He never contacted me directly to try to straighten this out.

      4. He has tried to blame other people on at least two lists
         that I know of.

      5. I've notified his sysadmin.

   I appologize to all of you for all this extra noise, but I felt
this needed to get nipped in the bud.

--Bill
  BearNet Webmonster