Re: HTML 3.2

Paul Prescod (papresco@itrc.uwaterloo.ca)
Wed, 8 May 1996 11:43:59 -0400

Date: Wed, 8 May 1996 11:43:59 -0400
To: "Daniel W. Connolly" <connolly@beach.w3.org>, www-html@w3.org
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@itrc.uwaterloo.ca>
Subject: Re: HTML 3.2

At 11:08 AM 5/8/96 -0400, Daniel W. Connolly wrote:
>Bingo! At least one person drew the conclusions that we intended them
>to draw from the HTML 3.2 release materials!

I'm still trying to figure out what the benefit is in formally standardizing
an existing defacto standard. There are about a hundred books you can buy
that will duplicate the information you are putting into "HTML 3.2". The
only benefit, in my mind, is to confer legitimacy on the browsers that
support HTML 3.2 already, and the process they used to ram them down our
(collective) throats.

As I mentioned in another message, that's great for W3C, but I don't see
what it does for the _Web_.

 Paul Prescod