Re: Palettes and bad rendering

Chuck Norris (chuck@spinnet.com)
Fri, 3 May 1996 16:05:03 -0700

Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 16:05:03 -0700
To: www-html@w3.org
From: Chuck Norris <chuck@spinnet.com>
Subject: Re: Palettes and bad rendering
Cc: Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com>

Lee Daniel Crocker <<lee@piclab.com> said:

>As I see it, then, the issue is not one of lack of information--

>sending more information, therefore, won't help.  The issue is

>that browsers are getting the information and doing a lousy job

>displaying it.  Each image already contains complete information

>about how it wants to be displayed.  The page itself contains

>complete information on how it wants to be displayed.  Browsers

>just aren't listening.  Complain to Netscape, not www-html.

Amen.  Exactly correct.  Graphics software in general has long used
color information from the image it's displaying to "tune" the
colortable for the best look.  Anyone who uses Photoshop on a 256 color
system has experienced this.  Lean on Netscape and Microsoft to
implement this feature if it's really what you want.

But my guess is that this is NOT what most people really want.  If this
were implemented, every time you visit a new web page the color
environment of your screen would change.  In practice, the effects of
this on various computer systems range from downright ugly (all
background windows now look like trash), to merely annoying (all
background windows are now forced to redraw under the new color
environment).  In an application like PhotoShop where color fidelity is
critical, this is fine, but in a web browser where you are likely
moving quickly from page to page, perhaps not.

I'll bet that the folks at Netscape tried this "feature" early on and
rejected it as too annoying for general use.

Chuck Norris

                                          |  email:  chuck@spinnet.com

  Spinnet Inc.                            |    WWW:
http://www.spinnet.com/

      Bringing Business to the Internet   |  phone:  (619) 530-0583