Re: The LINK tag and NCSA Mosaic??

Hakon Lie (howcome@w3.org)
Sun, 10 Mar 1996 00:59:24 +0100

Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 00:59:24 +0100
To: Chris Josephes <cpj1@winternet.com>
Cc: Michael Seaton <mseaton@inforamp.net>, www-html@w3.org
Subject: Re: The LINK tag and NCSA Mosaic??
From: Hakon Lie <howcome@w3.org>

Chris Josephes writes:

 > > The idea isn't to display a button for every <LINK>, but only for those
 > > used to connect the page to others within a larger document. I.e:

 [..]

 > In one of the CSS drafts, a HTML example had the paragraph "...choose from
 > our traditional, (something), or wacky styles".

This is on the edges of the CSS domain, but in specifiaction [1] one
can read:

  <HEAD>
    <TITLE>title</TITLE>
    <LINK REL=STYLESHEET TYPE="text/css"
      HREF="http://style.com/cool" TITLE="Cool">
    <STYLE TYPE="text/css">
      @import "http://style.com/basic"
      H1 { color: blue }
    </STYLE>
  </HEAD>
  <BODY>
    <H1>Headline is blue</H1>
    <P STYLE="color: green">While the paragraph is green.
  </BODY>

  The example shows four ways to link style to HTML: using the 'LINK'
  element to link an external style sheet, a 'STYLE' element inside the
  'HEAD' element, an imported style sheet using the CSS '@import ...'
  notation, and a 'STYLE' attribute on an element inside 'BODY'. The
  latter option mixes style with content and one loses the corresponding
  advantages of traditional style sheets.

  The 'LINK' element references alternative style sheets that the reader
  can select, while imported style sheets are automatically merged with
  the rest of the style sheet.

So, it would make some sense to represent <LINK REL=STYLESHEET> with
an on/off button. Personally, I would prefer a pull-down menu where
all styles (including the STYLE element and the STYLE attributes) can
be turned on/off.

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-css1.html

Regards,

-h&kon